Thursday, June 7, 2012

mirror, mirror

"When we look in a mirror, we never see our true selves. We see either the best or worst possible visions of ourselves."

I said that, or something like it, to my girlfriend yesterday as we were finishing our workouts at the gym. She paused and marveled at my profound piece of wisdom. Truthfully, I wasn't trying to be profound - I was just speaking off the top of my head. But given her praise, I couldn't help but return to the statement later in the evening.

Which way do I see myself? I know I oscillate between the two extremes, and I regret that my perspective has been mostly negative as of late. I often feeling as though I'm not doing or achieving enough, though I'm simultaneously frustrated by not knowing what else to do.

How do we change our perspectives? Better yet, how do we normalize our views on our true selves? There was a time in life when the answers to questions like these seemed readily available, but now they allude me. Maybe the trick is to pay less attention to mirrors, and start looking out the windows.

No comments: