Friday, January 27, 2012

the end

Over the last five years, there's no show I've enjoyed watching more than Chuck. Josh Schwartz, Chris Fedak and the show's creative team masterfully strode the line between giving fans what they want and leaving the audience wanting more. I was hooked immediately by the action, drama, suspense and inanity that surrounded one man's struggle to defy the obstacles preventing him from being exactly who he wants to be, and I've appreciated being able to witness Charles Bartowski grow into that persona, with and without the intersect.

Chuck's primary conflict - to shed the baggage that prevents him from living the life we wants - is a struggle to which we all relate. The show came about at a time in my life when the foundation of my identity was rocked. I saw a lot of myself in the character, and consequently found a lot of myself while watching Chuck's journey these last five years.

That journey reaches its conclusion tonight as Chuck, the little show that could, finally says its goodbye. I'm looking forward to what promises to be an emotional two hours of television and preparing myself to say farewell to a cast of characters to whom I've grown so close. I'll no doubt be compelled to write about the series finale, and promise to do so promptly - I thank anyone who is interested in reading my closing thoughts on Chuck in advance. Enjoy tonight!

No comments: